S.W. Beech, Jr.
Born in 1917 on his father’s farm near the community of Belfast, Tennessee, S. W. Beech, Jr. grew up helping with the daily farm chores. He took an early interest in the livestock produced on the farm, which included high quality mules, Percherons, and plantation horses. After graduating from high school, he added a few more stalls to his father’s mule barn and began training horses. In 1941, he married Margaret Moore and shortly thereafter took a training job in Arkansas. While in Arkansas, the couple greeted two sons, Bobby and Steve. In 1945, the family returned to Middle Tennessee. Following his father’s death in 1946, Beech took over the family farm. He continued training and began a breeding operation. He was elected to the Board of Directors of the Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders’ Association of America in 1947 and his third son, Ray, arrived in 1949.
In 1954, the year Merry Go Boy arrived at S. W. Beech & Sons Stables to stand at stud, Beech stopped training and decided to devote himself full time to breeding top-quality Tennessee Walking Horses. From that time until his death in 1985, S. W. Beech & Sons Stables stood some of the most influential stallions in the industry, stallions such as Go Boy’s Shadow, Ebony Masterpiece, Another Masterpiece, Go Boy’s Chatterbox, Handshaker’s Delight, Delight Bumin Around, and Go Boy’s Sundust. The list of notable horses bred and raised on the Beech farm is almost endless.